You can find lots of research and articles about branding and why it is important for a company. But it is easier said than done. It is not only about creating a logo, but also about customer experience and business value.
Shortly explained branding is when a company for example creates a name, symbol, tagline or design. But branding is so much more. The brand tells the costumers who you are as a business and what to expect. From a marketing aspect the brand is the most valuable assets and gives the company an identity. Others can easily copy products or services, but the brand will always be unique. It distinguishes you from competitors and foster customer loyalty. A customer often value brand recognition highly when buying a new product.
There are many positive effects with investing both time and money in your branding, such as increase your business value, create trust and support different marketing activities. But maybe one of the main objectives is to attract and retain loyal customers and other stakeholders by delivering a product or service aligned with what the brand promises.
A few branding terms that are good to know:
- Brand awareness – the ability to recognise or recall a brand. A customer will normally purchase one of the top three brands in their consideration set. You have metrics designed to measure brand awareness known as AAU (Awareness, Attitudes and Usage).
- Branding management – how the brand is perceived in the market. It is an ongoing process. An effective brand management increases brand awareness and maintain customer satisfaction.
- Brand identity – is the brand image and the visible elements, e.g. name, colours, a voice, design or logo. It is how you communicate your products or services.
- Brand strategy – The how, what, when and to whom you are communicating your products or services. It is a long-term plan for the development of a successful brand.
- Brand experience – is how a company can influence the feeling a customer has about a product or company name. To create a memorable experience for the customer and convert brand awareness to brand loyalty.
How does your company work with branding? Here are a few tips on how to build a successful brand:
- Pay attention on customers’ need
- Focus on what you deliver
- Communicate your brand everywhere but wisely
- Believe in your brand and involve the employees
- Be consistent and keep your brand simple
Did you know we use white labelling, which means you can brand our products. Bollnäs kommun is a good example of how you can do as you see above.